Got your iPhone 14 stuck or frozen? A hard reset probably fixes that. In this…
Do you want to unlock a security lockout iPhone?
iPhone security lockout is a status that your iPhone gets a message starting with “Security Lockout” on a totally black screen in white letters. It’s locked with either “Press home to Unlock” or the “Emergency” text at the same time. Some of the people may get the Erase iPhone option on the lock screen.
In this article, we’ll show you how to easily unlock the iPhone security lockout and explain what security lockout means on iPhone.
When your iPhone or iPad got a security lockout screen, you’ll need to unlock it by resetting the iPhone/iPad. You will lose your data on the device at that moment. Actually, you will lose all data if you have no backups. The only way to salvage your data is to restore it from the backups. We’ll cover the Apple way and the third-party software solutions to unlock the locked iPhone.
What does security lockout mean on iPhone?
Apple has designed the security lockout screen since iOS 15.2, instead of showing iPhone is disabled Messages. It doesn’t matter if you didn’t know what security lockout me on your iPhone. It’s new to every iPhone user. And we will explain it carefully in this part.
Security lockout means your iPhone is locked for security. You can’t get into your iPhone content and settings at this stage.
When your iPhone says security lockout, your data is almost gone on the device. Fortunately, if you had a backup previously on your computer or iCloud, you can restore your backup to salvage your data. It’s unmerciful to every iPhone user but it’s a fact that everyone has to face up.
It’s similar to the “iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes” status. However, many users have claimed that the iPhone Security Lockout problem is more difficult to deal with. It’s said by several people that the messages can arouse new issues when they restore it with iTunes or update the iOS.
What happens when your iPhone says security lockout messages on the screen.
There are many reasons to cause iPhone security lockout. A large part of the reason is that the iPhone is entered by many failed passcode entries. A small part of the reason is unknown. when people update the iOS software, restore or enter recovery mode of the phone, or just for unknown reasons, the iPhone got security lockout.
You will get the escalating security lockout messages for more wrong passcode inputs. The following is a summary of these messages.
- 5 incorrect passcode entries in a row – Security Lockout/iPhone Unavailable, try again in 1 minute.
- 7 incorrect passcode entries in a row – Security Lockout/iPhone Unavailable, try again in 5 minutes.
- 8 incorrect entries in a row – Security Lockout, try again in 15 minutes.
- 9 incorrect passcode entries in a row – Security Lockout, try again in 1 hour.
- 10 incorrect passcode entries – Security Lockout.
There are mainly these four kinds of security lockout messages on iPhones.
- The first kind of sayings on the Lock screen is “security lockout, try again in X minutes”.
There are messages such as security lockout in 1 minute, five minutes, 15 minutes, 1 hour, or X minutes, the number X is between 1 to 60.
When you are waiting for the minutes to go down, the try again message will show the countdown number of minutes. The number maybe 4,7,12,13, 18, 28, 30 or 44, 55, 56, 59.
- The second kind of sayings is “security lockout”. This is a security lockout message with no timer.
- The third kind of says is iPhone unavailable. Similarly, it has the iPhone Unavailable try again messages, and the iPhone Unavailable with no time.
The iPhone unavailable message and iPhone security lockout message may appear alternatively.
What does each kind of Security Lockout message mean?
- Security Lockout Try again. When you see the type of message, you should wait for the X minutes that show on the black lock screen. When the time is up, you will see the entering passcode screen. Then you have the chance to enter the correct passcode. When the correct passcode is entered, your iPhone will be opened then.
- Security Lockout with no time. When you got the message, you have no more chances to enter the passcode. That’s why you will see the “try your passcode in null” message on the next screen meaning after you click the Erase iPhone option.
- iPhone security lockout and iPhone Unavailable messages appear alternatively. iPhone Unavailable message is the same type of message with a different saying released on iOS 15.2 or later.
How to Unlock the Security lockout iPhone?
To let you have an overview of the solution of iPhone security lockout. We’ll cover and explain it in conclusion.
There are mainly two types of solutions to unlock a security iPhone among all available methods, the Apple way and the third-party way.
If you have the correct Passcode and the iPhone accepts it.
If you have the right passcode, enter the right passcode when the time is up. You’ll bypass the security lockout screen like a breeze.
If you forgot your passcode or if you have the right passcode but it won’t accept it.
In this stage, you can solve the security lockout issue with Apple way or the third-party software way. First, we’ll show you the third-party way to solve it efficiently. Then we’ll show you the Apple way to resolve it. As people may face different situations when they have the security lockout the iPhone problem, and the different situations on your lockout Phone and your iPhone conditions may trigger more different situations during dealing with the Apple way. Those conditions would cause more failed possibilities than the third-party way. The advantage of the Apple way is that they are totally free.
We’re going to show you the most obvious and easy way for you in the Apple way, then the third-party way, and then the other Apple possible ways.
The easiest way to reset a security lockout iPhone is to use Apple’s new feature, tap Erase iPhone on the security lockout screen. But the problem is not everyone can get an Erase iPhone option for reasons from the Apple side with slightly different iOS 15 versions.
Solution 1. Tap Erase iPhone when Security Lockout Try again in 15 minutes shows.
On some of the security lockout iPhones, you can tap Erase iPhone and then enter your Apple ID and password to erase the iPhone.
If you know whatever method you choose, your data will be gone provisionally(restore backup later after a reset), why not choose this free and simple way to wipe your iPhone. At the very worst, you’ll take control of your iPhone immediately, even if you have no backups. You are fortunate if you have any backups to restore. In a word, a security lockout iPhone should be reset first to let you regain access.
When you see the security lockout message for the first time, pay attention to the time and check if there is the Erase iPhone option. If you won’t see it, it’s not your fault. Try to trigger the option until you see the try again in 15 minutes message, if failed, try Solution 2.
Check out the security lockout message.
1. If it’s the security lockout message with no time. Check if there is an Erase iPhone button on the lower right corner of the screen. If not, please refer to Solution 2. In that case, Apple won’t give you the option and you can’t change it by this method now.
2. When it’s the Security Lockout Try again message which is equal to or greater than 15 minutes. Check if there is an Erase iPhone button on the lower right corner of the screen. If not, please refer to solution 2. If Apple iPhone won’t show you the Erase iPhone option at the try again in 15 or longer minutes stage, it won’t show you even if you wait for a longer time with the Try Again message.
Action to trigger the Erase iPhone option. If failed, turn to Solution 2.
3. If it’s the security lockout try again message with a timer of fewer than 15 minutes. The “Erase iPhone” button will show on-screen after the seventh failed attempt in iOS 15.2 and later. Do more failed passcode attempts to trigger the Erase option, like “security Lockout, try again in 15 minutes” with the Erase option.
- For those with Erase iPhone. Tap Erase iPhone. After tapping it, you can see the message “This iPhone is in Security lockout, you can try your passcode again in X minutes or null”. If you forgot the passcode, tap Erase iPhone.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- Confirm Erase. wait for your iPhone to get reset on the device.
When it’s opened, set up your iPhone to your liking.
Solution 2. Unlock the Security Lockout iPhone with SD iPhone Passcode Unlocker.
SD iPhone Passcode Unlocker is an app to unlock the iPhone Passcode and the various iPhone lockout screen. It can fix the security lockout iPhone efficiently.
To use this app, free download the software and install it on your computer.
1. Run the App and Click Unlock Screen Passcode.
2. Connect your security lockout iPhone to your computer with the lightning cable. Then put it in recovery mode. Do as the screen shows on your iPhone.
You can also enter your security lockout iPhone in recovery mode following our text directions. DFU mode also works if you like to put it in DFU(follow the screen snapshots).
For iPhone 8 to iPhone 13 or later. Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
For iPhone 7 or 7 Plus. Press and hold the Side button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone. Then connect your iPhone to your computer while holding the Volume down button. Keep holding the Volume down button until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
For iPhone SE, iPhone 6(Plus)/6S(Plus), and earlier. Press and hold the Side (or Top) button until the power-off slider appears. Drag the slider to turn off your iPhone. Then connect your iPhone to your computer while holding the Home button. Keep holding the Home button until you see the Recovery Mode screen.
3. Download Firmware packages to unlock the Security Lockout screen.
4. Click Start to Unlock when you finished the downloading process. Confirm it by entering “000000”.
Wait for your iPhone to restart with the Hello Screen. Hooray, after setting it up, you should access your iPhone now. To retrieve your data, you can use our iPhone Data Recovery to recover the iCloud backup or iTunes backup selectively.
Solution 3. Restore a Security lockout iPhone on iTunes.
To reset the security lockout iPhone with iTunes, you also need to enter your iPhone in DFU or Recovery Mode.
- Launch Finder on Mac, or iTunes either on PC or Mac.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer with the USB. Then put it in Recovery Mode.
- When the pop-up screen with Restore and Update appears, click the Restore and Update. Confirm it. And your computer will erase your iPhone and install the latest iOS software.
Your security lockout iPhone should be fixed then. If failed, try again with recovery mode or DFU mode. Or you can turn to the third-party software.
People Also Ask.
Are there any ways to unlock the Security Lockout iPhone without a computer?
Yes. You can wipe it with iCloud Find My iPhone with no computer. If you’ve turned on the Find My iPhone option, and known your Apple ID & passcode. When you go to the iCloud Find My website on any smartphones, tablets, or other devices that can open a browser, you can erase your Security lockout iPhone or iPad there. The device should get itself erased and updated later with the iOS latest version if it’s online.
Can SD iPhone Unlocker deal with the iPhone locked screen that turns from iPhone is Disabled to Security Lockout screen?
Yes. It deals with the case. If you restore your “iPhone is Disabled” screen on iTunes or Finder, and later it shows you Security Lockout after it restarts, you can also use solution 2 to unlock it.
Check more: iPhone Went from Disabled to Unavailable.
Security Lockout Screen time is up, and it won’t recognize the correct passcode?
You should unlock it with solution 2. Why it’s happening no one knows. Maybe you still enter the passcode wrong, even if you think it’s really correct. Or the glitches are happening in some cases. New features(Security Lockout) will always become better after more iOS versions are updated.
Can I speed up the Security Lockout timer?
No, you can’t. It’s the inner timer designed that controls the lock screen. You can’t change it.
Security Lockout After an update or a restore. What’s happening?
There are several people who discuss the problems and ask for help in the community. It is estimated that the problem may be some glitches. To solve the problem, you can also use the SD iPhone Passcode Unlocker software, which will completely get rid of the security lockout screen, black background with white letters on it.
What are the differences between Security Lockout and iPhone Unavailable?
They are almost the same problems with only different sayings. And they can be appearing alternatively. The solutions to unlock the security lockout iPhone both work well on the iPhone Unavailable problems.
More Questions? Refer to our article.
We hope this article helped you learn how to unlock the iPhone Security Lockout screen. You can also leave a comment to us to share why and what happens when you get your iPhone Security Lockout. You may also be interested in our guide on iPhone Security Lockout without Erasing Data, iPhone 13 is Disabled Connect to iTunes, Software to Wipe Locked iPhone, iPhone is Unavailable Try Again in 1 Hour, How to Reset Screen Time Passcode, and iPad Security Lockout.