There are so many apple users asking questions about how long does it take to back up iPhone with iCloud, or why iPhone iCloud backup taking a long time? Even some of them complain that iCloud backing up taking forever, taking several days or twenty more hours.
In this article, we will explore more about problems of iCloud backing up taking so long and give an alternative method to back up your iPhone without iCloud.
Make sure that your iPhone/iPad is connected to a power source and a Wi-Fi Network. (for all the following part of the guide.)
Part1. How to Turn on iCloud Backup?
1. Connect your iPhone/iPad to a Wi-Fi network and a power source.
2. Go to Settings > [your name], and tap iCloud.
3. Tap iCloud backup > tap Backup Now. Keep your iPhone/iPad connected to your Wi-Fi network until it is complete.
Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. Under Back Up Now and check the progress of iCloud backing up. The time it consumes depends.
Part 2. Consider Influencing Factors of iCloud Backups.
There are the following possible reasons for the problems
1. Big size files on your iPhone.
2. low connection of Wi-Fi signal
3. Too many apps enabled in iCloud backup.
4. iCloud server connection errors
5. You ran out of iCloud storage space.
6. The older backups take up too much space.
What does iCloud back up? iCloud backup includes the following data:
- iPhone/iPad settings
- App data
- Home screen and app organization
- iMessage, text (SMS) and MMS messages
- Photos and videos on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- Purchase history from Apple services, like your music, films, TV shows, apps and books
- Visual Voicemail password
Part 3. How to Resolve iCloud Backup Taking a Long Time Manually?
Have a try as the following checklist. If these suggestions are not your viable options, Please move to part 4.
1. Move your large files to an external hard drive or computer to backup.
2. Ensure a good Wi-Fi connection or go to the place where the Wi-Fi signal is the strongest.
3. Check the app lists in your enabled in iCloud Sync. Also choose data for iCloud backup.
4. Sign out and re-sign to your Apple ID, or restart your iPhone or iPad, as well as try to start iCloud backup in another time in case of any iCloud server connection error.
5. Buy enough iCloud space, if you determined to use iCloud in the long run. Every time you backup it will take more storage space than before to add increment.
6. Manage your iCloud space. Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Storage to clear some space in your cloud account.
Part 4. How to Resolve via a Third-Party Software?
Backup via SD iPhone data recovery
Some people can’t bear with the painful experience of iCloud backup for taking a long time and head to other cloud services such as Google Drive or other apps. Also, as we all know that cloud service has an inherent risk of data security, a majority of people might like the old-fashioned way of backing up to the computer. Here we pick a great app – SD iPhone data recovery. Unlike iTunes, it enables you to selectively back your iPhone data in several steps.
It has the following attractive features:
1. Quick backup with efficiency.
2. selectively backup your contacts, messages, ringtones, voice memos, reminders, calendars, notes and app data etc.
3. Easy restore with a preview window.
4. Besides backup from iPhone/iPad, it lets you restore your backup from iCloud and iTunes.
Free download it now and install it on your computer. Connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer with a USB cable. Follow the guide to back up your iPhone/iPad.
Step1: Launch the SD iPhone data recovery. Open More Tools > iOS Data Backup & Restore > iOS Data Backup.
Step 2: On the next screen. Click Start with a standard backup or encrypted backup as your liking. Remember to write down your passwords for an encrypted backup.
Step 3: Choose the types of data you’d like to backup to your computer.
Step 4: Wait for the backup process and eventually view the files. Just click “Restore iOS data”
Part 5. Questions and answers about iCloud Backup
1. Will I lose my contact information if I delete my iPhone’s iCloud backup?
Deleting an iCloud backup does not delete the underlying Apple data like contacts, etc. if you turn on Settings > iCloud > Contact toggle switch on, the contacts will in the iCloud sync.
2. Could I recover deleted messages with iCloud with messages sync turned on?
No. you can’t. If you delete the synced messages from your iPhone, the messages will be deleted from all of your devices.
3. Where to delete my iCloud backup? I want to free up my iCloud space.
Go to Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage > Backups, click from the list of backups and Tap Delete Backup under it. You will receive the returned space right away.
Tired of iCloud backup? iTunes backup is also another rather good choice. If you are running Windows OS, you can also check this guide about How to Backup iPhone to Windows 10 PC with or without iTunes.